I've been giving our exhibition some thought now, and I'd like to know what you guys think. These are just my observations and ideas, it's ok if you disagree. I am interested in finding the intersection of humor and social conscience. I know what I make for this show might be taken out of context, and may be considered offensive. With that in mind, try to assume I have positive intentions.
The exhibition is about our experiences while in Ecuador. I have a few thoughts on that..
As outsiders in a new country, we experienced Ecuador through the lens of tourists. Nearly every occasion was a consumerist outing. Whenever we entered a new town I found myself asking two questions, "What is the local dish?" and "What is the town known for producing or selling?" Keep in mind, I'm not complaining about any of this. I embraced most of the shopping and eating (for better or worse).
There were a few times during our adventures that people discussed the movie, "Exit through the Gift Shop." With that fresh in mind, the surreal experience of walking through the Quito airport's mini-mall seemed too perfect an ending to our trip.
Drawing off these ideas and experiences, I'd like to propose building an installation in the gallery. I would need everyone's permission for this, as I would like to take over the entrance of the gallery (the narrow part of the room before it opens to a big square). I would like to make a replica of a few Otavalo market stands, and the product populating the stands would be artwork made by everyone in the group (including myself), that relates to something about their experience. For example I was thinking of making little candy sneakers, playing off my lost sneakers and the idea of things being impermanent. Other ideas might be postcards, calendars, jewelry, knickknacks, etc.
If the art objects that populate the installation are made for sale (another decision the group would have to make), I feel the proceeds should fully go to a worthy cause in Ecuador (yet another decision for the group to make).
Again, I would need everyone to give me a thumbs up (or abstain) to the concept. If anyone is against it, no worries. I have other ideas I could run with. Let me know what you think..
-Aaron
Explorar y Crear
Use this blog as part of your attempts to start making sense of your experiences in Ecuador. Where are the experiences leading you? What has challenged your way of thinking? Again, use this time to pose questions to the group. How are your ideas for doing art based on your experiences beginning to form? What questions are beginning to surface regarding culture, teaching, learning, art..? Perhaps a story from the trip will help begin to frame your thinking. Tell us a story – and ‘telling’ is not necessarily only done by writing. And, if possible, relate your posts to specific readings, events, and experiences.
That actually sounds like a good mix of social commentary and humor for you - I know that's something you've been thinking about. You can push the idea around a bit, but it's definitely a leap. I don't object to your placement, but also wonder if there are other spaces that may qualify as well - but I'm completely okay with you in that entryway....I think.
ReplyDeleteI think that sounds interesting. It makes me think about questions from our Aesthetics class relating to art and artifacts and the authenticity of souvenirs. Like the objects we bought in the wood working town, they were beautifully carved and obviously required a lot of skill to create but they were all items tourists would buy and had little functionality to local shoppers. It might even be interesting if we brought some of the items we bought. My only objection to this is that by having it in the entrance it will greatly impact the rest of the gallery space, so I think it is really important we are all on board, but im OK with it.
ReplyDeletethis sounds really interesting. however, it might be a difficulty for people to create their own artwork for the show and something smaller for the entryway installation. what if we all brought in some souvenir items that we purchased in Ecuador? some things might walk that fine line between art and artifact. I know that Dan was talking about how he was interested in documenting our purchases and interviewing us about them. If that doesn't take away from anything he may be doing, that is a route that your installation may be able to go.
ReplyDeleteI fully support Aaron’s idea, and like Angie’s thought about bringing items we actually purchased. I may have a few pairs of earrings I could donate…
ReplyDeleteI love this idea for a couple of reasons:
ReplyDeleteI think it makes a great point, because you're right, consumerism was a huge piece of our experience (I am also not complaining!).
And 2, it would be collaborative, like our experience TOGETHER. We did everything together, so I think entering and exiting the gallery with a collaborative piece- really speaks about our experience as a group!
Love this idea!
I do think Angie makes a great point though...so I think I could go either way; producing work or displaying artifacts. Of course, either thing says something different. So that would be worth discussing more as a group.